Sunday, January 10, 2010

What Does it All Mean?

I have been working with blogging over the last year and a half. Most of that time I have spent trying to figure out the technical details of how to make it all work and connecting with other bloggers. What I haven't spent much time on is the theoretical questions about what makes blogging work, how does it affect society, is it useful and how so, does it change our society significatly, etc. As I started thinking about these things I realized I just DID blogging. I never really thought about what it meant in the bigger scheme of life and society.

I have heard a lot of people wondering about the accuracy of information in blogs. It's true that there is no real regulation of what is written. Then again, if people find out that the information is bad they will often stop reading a particular blog and will find one of the millions of others out there to read instead. And if no one really reads a blog, then it kind of becomes obsolete.

Vanessa sent a link in a comment that was an interesting discussion of how people choose to read information that is close to their own outlook. So I wonder how that affects the information people get? Is it easier to find information that matches your own opinions when there are so many blogs to choose from? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment