Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Week in Social Media

Do I use social media too much? Let's see.

Monday, I made plans via Twitter to get together with some blog and twitter friends for happy hour after work. We met at Allesandro's in downtown Salem and had a lovely chat, along with some food and drinks. After I left Allesandro's, I headed to the Ike Box for a meeting on Measures 66 & 67 that I had been invited to via Facebook.

When I got home from the meeting, I posted on Twitter that I was planning to vote "yes" on 66 & 67. That started a slew of comments and discussions on Twitter and ended with me agreeing to go talk to some people on Thursday about their decision to vote no. We'll be meeting at the Beanery tomorrow if anyone wants to buy tickets to the debate let me know. Just kidding. I think it'll be a civil discussion...I hope...

In the meantime, I saw on Twitter that there was an earthquake in Haiti. I called (yes, I used the old fashioned cellular telephone to do this!) my friend whose sister is living in Haiti currently. He didn't answer as he normally doesn't at work, so I left a message there and then also posted a message on her Facebook page. My message went up on her page with about 20-25 other messages from friends praying for their safety. I then got a text message in the middle of the night telling me she was safe, checked Facebook this morning, and was directed to two online news articles that told of their escape from their crumbling building.

And here I am blogging away. This is my life 2010 style.

2 comments:

  1. As I was going through the pile of mail beside my cocoon easy chair where I live with a laptop on top of my lap (imagine that: a laptop on top of a lap. I see a Dr Suess book evolving.), I found our ballots so I decided to reread the Voting Pamphlet and focus on the opposition. I've been leaning toward Yes for some time now but a friend surprised me last evening with an strong, "It'd better no pass!" I looked particularly for wording in the text and definition, and supporting arguments in the discussion. While I don't want my friends to lose an election anymore than I want to lose one, I couldn't find the convincing argument. I'm very concerned about farmers.
    Why did I write this when we're supposed to be discussing the use of blogs in education? Because I've never this media for this purpose and I thought I'd try it. It's a part of my education.

    How are you on reading Chinese blogs? I see one in your roll. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've really made a case for social media improving our lives and bringing us close together. It's funny how the cell phone seems to be the oldest bit of technology in the whole thing. I went to a staff meeting today and decided to count who was taking notes on iphones/laptops/etc. versus pen and paper. The final tally was pens and paper: 8, computers/iphones/etc: 2. One person was using her iphone to reference her calendar and taking notes about the meeting on paper. On her blog, Lisa linked to an article called Beyond Social Networking: Building Toward Learning Communities. The article mentions the correlation between social networking and age. I think everyone using pen and paper at the meeting was in the 45-54 age group. It's an integral way for younger people to connect, but if we don't see a good representation of older people online, then we're only connecting with the young community. And that's not a true representation of the world at all.

    ReplyDelete